Skip to content

What is the difference between TDI and TWIA?

The different functions of each agency explained

For the full conversation, check out full episodes of The Next Level Podcast. The Next Level Podcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, YouTube and Spotify.

The process of obtaining certification of a new home or alteration can be confusing for homeowners and even contractors.

Wading through these waters is necessary, however, to obtain a windstorm and hail insurance policy through TWIA or your insurance company.

Will you need a certificate from TDI or TWIA?  What’s the difference between a WPI-8 and a WPI-8E?

These are great questions. First, let’s define the organizations and then we’ll get in to the different certifications needed to properly insure your investment.

TDI (Texas Department of Insurance) regulates the state’s insurance industry, oversees the administration of the Texas workers’ compensation system, performs the duties of the State Fire Marshal’s Office, and provides administrative support to the Office of Injured Employee Counsel – a separate agency (

TWIA (Texas Windstorm Insurance Agency) is a residual market property insurance company and is not a state agency. TWIA is one of 36 residual market property insurers in the United States. These residual markets are created by state law to provide consumers with another alternative for insurance when coverage is unavailable through traditional private sector insurance carriers. When the private sector determines the risk of loss is too great and is unwilling to write coverage voluntarily, applicants can seek coverage through the residual market mechanism (

Now, about the certifications.

TDI is the only entity that is capable of issuing certificates of compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8E) for completed improvements. These certificates are used by TWIA and other insurance companies to verify that the structure’s design and construction conformed to the applicable building code. The only individuals allowed to declare that a structure conformed to the building code for TDI certificate of compliance are professional engineers listed on the TDI appointed qualified inspectors list and TDI inspectors.

What’s the difference between the WPI-8 and WPI-8E?

A WPI-8 is issued from TDI and is used for new and ongoing construction projects. For example, if you are starting the process of designing your new home or contemplating a remodel and you contact our office prior to project completion, you will receive a WPI-8 if all design and construction is in compliance with applicable building codes.

A WPI-8E is issued by TDI and is used for projects that have completed construction. For example, you purchased a home and found that the roof replaced in 2008 never was inspected or certified, and you want to ensure this new roof can have wind and hail coverage, you will receive a WPI-8E certificate.

Verifying completed construction meets the applicable building code can be destructive and costly, and the process for obtaining certificates for completed construction are much more difficult than new or ongoing projects. It is highly recommended that you call Lynn Engineering prior to starting any construction.

Lynn Engineering is here to help with any questions you may have about foundation design. Speak with our professionals or schedule an inspection today. Our experts in design for coastal construction can provide the guidance you need for your repairs, alterations and new construction projects.

Engineering is complicated. We make it easy.

Let's get in touch!

Case Study:

More News:

Do I need a windstorm inspection?

Most new construction, roof replacements, and major repairs must be inspected before you can get coverage through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association. But not every repair requires an inspection. These don’t.
Read More

Cathedral Ceilings

Cathedral ceilings have become increasingly popular in home design. They present challenges to be addressed before and during construction.
Read More

Barndominium Framing

There are several options available today for barndominium-style homes. Depending on the homeowner's needs, builders may choose a pole barn-style structure, a pre-engineered metal building (PEMB), or traditional wood framing.
Read More

Post-tension Foundation Design

There are several key differences between a regular slab-on-grade foundation and a post-tension foundation. Consulting with the qualified structural engineers at Lynn Engineering will help you determine the most suitable foundation system for a specific project.
Read More
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap